Yoshinkan Aikido Ryu has a system whereby students can stay at the dojo and study aikido with Tsuneo Ando. Students stay at Ryu House and take part in the everyday life of the dojo, training alongside Ando Senseiʼs apprentices. In this way, students can truly experience the saying that aiki soku seikatsu (“aikido and life are one”). Live-in training is for students who want to gain a greater understanding of the spirit of aikido and to improve their aikido technique.
Ryu Headquarters Dojo is located in Urayasu City with easy access from Narita and Haneda airports. Most famous for being the home of Tokyo Disneyland, Urayasu City also holds many seasonal events and festivals that live-in students can participate in, allowing them a unique glimpse into Japanese culture and lifestyle.
There are many popular tourist locations within an easy distance of the dojo, making it possible for students to fit some sightseeing into their training schedules.
Features and Facilities:
- Live-in students have the use of the dojo bicycles free of charge.
- Students have access to wireless internet (please note that the dojo computers are not available for use by students).
- Basic cooking facilities are provided for students wishing to cook their own meals.
- Live-in students have the opportunity to eat lunch with Ando Sensei and the Ryu Dojo instructors (Tuesdays to Fridays; lunch boxes cost ¥450 per person per day.) Please let us know if you have any dietary restrictions. Also please note that lunch orders must be canceled the day before. We cannot give refunds for lunches canceled on the day.
- Ryu House is located less than a one-minute walk away from a convenience store, which sells basic groceries and pre-cooked meals.
- Ryu House is equipped with a washing machine and space to hang laundry (please provide your own washing detergent).
- Ryu House has shower and bath facilities. (Please note that toiletries such as soap and shampoo are not provided. Students should also bring their own towels.)
- The period of the stay may be from one night up to 3 months.
|QUALIFICATIONS||Students must be 18 years or older, with some experience of Aikido. (Students younger than 18 years are permitted to stay as long as they are accompanied by an adult. Minors who are accompanied by an adult other than their parent or legal guardian are required to submit a letter of consent from their parent/legal guardian.)|
|COST||· Accommodation – ¥2,000 (plus tax) per day, excluding meals.
· Tuition – ¥2,000 (plus tax) per day. This allows students to attend as many classes as they wish for that day at Ryu Honbu Dojo and all affiliate clubs and dojos. Students staying longer-term can also pay ¥21,000 (plus tax) giving them unlimited training for a month.
· RWAF members receive 50% off the cost of accommodation.
· We can accept payment in advance by PayPal or on arrival by cash or credit card. Please note that there is a 4.3% transfer fee when paying by PayPal. Fees must be paid within 3 days of arrival at the dojo.
|TRAINING TIMETABLE||Ryu Headquarters Dojo offers up to 5 classes per day and can accommodate students of all levels. Your personal training schedule will be set after discussion with Ryu instructors and an assessment of your level.
Please click here to see the training schedule for Ryu Headquarters Dojo and Urayasu branch.
*Students wishing to stay at Ryu Honbu Dojo should first fill in an online application below.
*Applications should be submitted at least one week before the start of the planned visit (2 months for those students requiring assistance in obtaining a visa.)
*After receipt of your application, we will contact you by email and inform you if your application has been accepted. Please note that in some cases extra documentation may be required.